Do you crave the excitement of a start-up company, coupled with the resources and support of an established and well-respected organization? The Jackson Laboratory (http://www.jax.org) is an independent, nonprofit biomedical research institution internationally recognized for its research excellence and world-class faculty, who perform leading-edge research in the fields of human genomics and mouse genetics. At JAX, our Information Technology is as exciting and progressive as our cutting-edge science. Join our Research IT team to help plan, design, and launch efficient systems in support of scientific research.
The Jackson Laboratory is seeking a Programmer/Analyst with solid experience in designing, implementing, and supporting research systems used across several dozen laboratories at multiple sites in the organization. The ideal candidate will work as part of a value-stream aligned Agile team to define, create, and adapt research data structures, and define systems integrations to meet the rapidly growing and highly integrated needs of laboratory service groups.
- Lead evolutionary design based on product roadmap requirements, standard patterns for consistent user experience and enterprise data modeling, and consistent configuration patterns to deliver effective business value.
- Recommend and prototype solution options based on requirements to provide effective user experience while minimizing technical debt and administrative overhead.
- Champion continuous improvement and a learning culture in personal work, the team’s work, the platform landscape, and user experience.
- Research and evaluate new products and services for applicability to in-house needs. Stay current with new trends and emerging information technologies and informatics tools; advocate for and lead the adoption of these technologies at JAX.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in the development and support of applications with medium to major complexity and cross-functional scope.
- Demonstrated ability to lead design sessions with decision makers, other Scrum Team members, system owners and end users.
- Demonstrated ability to convert designs into user-accepted solutions through teamwork.
- Proficiency in system engineering processes; business process, requirements, analysis and related modeling tools, standards, and assigned application domain areas.
- Sustained experience demonstrating Agile values and using methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban.
- Ability to write and maintain streamlined, effective technical and program documentation.
- Ability to work closely with stakeholder teams to analyze and recommend functional optimizations and solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills (both technical and functional.)
- Experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS), Electronic Laboratory Notebooks (ELN) or Scientific Data Management Systems (SDMS) preferred.
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 1,800 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX’s research facility in Bar Harbor, Maine is a National Cancer Institute-designated Cancer Center and a world-renowned expert in mammalian genetics. JAX also has facilities in Sacramento, California, and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine in Farmington, Connecticut.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
JAX-GM resides in the scenic town of Farmington, in the state’s capitol region. The Hartford region, which offers some of the best public schools in the country, is made up of both bigger cities and smaller, charming historic New England towns. JAX-GM is also geographically located within 2 hours of Boston and New York and is close to multiple transportation systems including bus lines, highways, railroads and international airports.
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted