The User Experience (UX) Designer leads the design of IT systems and custom software delivered to internal and external users. The UX Designer is responsible for delivering improved technology usability to meet Business and Research goals.
The UX Designer performs user research, competitive analysis, data analysis, and written summaries in order to deliver digital technology implementations. The UX Designer leads design activities and facilitates the collaborative design of digital products. The incumbent possesses technical understanding of current and emerging digital solutions and IT systems as well as relevant business process knowledge. The designer will map user journeys, diagram user personas, and create high-fidelity mockups and prototypes.
Reporting to the Sr. Manager for Digital Business, the UX Designer interfaces with IT leadership and technical staff, as well as business stakeholders across the Lab at the Manager, Director and staff level. The incumbent will use design methods to identify top priority issues and opportunities, lead design and planning workshops, create and present designs, and test for direct user and customer feedback.
This position can sit in either Bar Harbor, Maine, Sacramento, California, or Farmington, Connecticut
User Research - 40%
- Leads identification of and advocacy for user needs to the JAX IT technology teams, product management teams, and business leadership. Serves as an evangelist for the user and the ultimate external customer experience.
- Conduct various types of user research including direct interviews of internal users, external customers, and various stakeholders.
- Facilitate collaborative design thinking sessions to create business and developer understanding of new digital business opportunities.
- Perform analysis of user research and create appropriate design artifacts such as journey maps, user personas, empathy maps, storyboards, stakeholder maps, and relevant assessment deliverables.
Experience Design - 30%
- Create visualizations, wireframes, mockups, and prototypes to improve business and IT understanding of new processes and user experiences. Iterate on designs based on stakeholder, user, and customer feedback; conduct experiments, spikes, and other techniques to validate user impacts.
- Perform visual design through use of layouts, colors and illustrations to facilitate communication of new digital experiences and to enhance collaboration with product managers, development teams, and the users in order to drive innovations and improvements.
- Design digital experiences that are responsive and adaptive by leveraging knowledge of emerging technologies and UI frameworks.
- Create and propose new design guidelines to enhance branding, aesthetics, and communications across Jax. Design and communicate new models for user and web navigation, information architecture, interaction design, and usability.
Communication and Collaboration – 30%
- Lead collaborative design activities to drive insights and consensus among Jax decision makers in order to support customer centric digital experiences
- Through storytelling, effectively communicate research goals, methods, findings and outcomes to anyone and everyon
- Communicate, visually and other forms, recommendations that are going to be impactful and attainable. Incorporate business limitations and technical feasibility.
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience as an experience designer
- Minimum of two (2) years in a role working within a leadership/management capacity.
- Masters in Fine Art (MFA) preferred.
- Design thinking, LeanUX or similar, certifications showing coaching and practitioner level (or equivalent)
- Ability to lead small projects, coach designers and developers, and communicate with IT and business leaders.
- Proven ability to design exceptional customer experiences.
- Experience with and ability to lead others in the use of tools and techniques to drive collaborative design, communications, prototyping, and visual representations of user experience.
The Jackson Laboratory, (JAX, www.jax.org) is a nonprofit biomedical research institute with over 2,000 employees whose mission is to discover precise genomic solutions for human disease and empower the global biomedical community in the shared quest to improve human health. JAX has a mammalian genetics headquarters in Bar Harbor, Maine; JAXWest; a facility in Sacramento, CA, and The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine (JAX-GM); a new genomic medicine facility in Farmington, CT that is enabling the Laboratory to translate its fundamental science into the clinic. In addition to its National Cancer Center Institute-designated Cancer Center, the Laboratory also has initiated a cancer research laboratory in Seoul, Korea.
The Jackson Laboratory's 43-acre scenic Bar Harbor campus is nestled between the Gulf of Maine and the mountains of Acadia National Park. Some of the best hiking and biking in the world (over 50 square miles of mountains, lakes, views and dramatic coastline) is accessible from our campus. We are one mile from downtown Bar Harbor, which offers a vibrant downtown district with a plethora of restaurants, shops, museums and galleries.
JAX employees work in a collaborative, value-driven and team-based environment where the focus is on advancing science and improving patients’ lives. Researchers apply genetics to increase the understanding of human disease and advance treatments and cures for cancer, neurological and immune disorders, diabetes, aging and heart disease. JAX was voted among the top 15 “Best Places to Work in Academia” in the United States in a poll conducted by The Scientist magazine!
INTEGRITY - Courage and commitment to do what is right
PEOPLE - Inspiring our people to enhance the health of all
ONE TEAM - Unified by our promise to transform medicine and science
EXCELLENCE - Achieving world-class results
INNOVATION - Leading with discovery and creative solutions
STEWARDSHIP - Caring for and enhancing the resources entrusted to us
What do we have to offer?
JAX offers a dynamic and supportive work environment, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package including a medical plan, outstanding retirement plan, generous paid time off and tuition reimbursement. JAX offers an MBA program, a fitness center with an award winning wellness program, and a fully operational primary care facility available to employees and their families.
Most importantly, every position contributes to JAX’s mission of discovering precise genomic solutions for human disease and empowering the global biomedical community in our shared quest to improve human health.
The Jackson Laboratory provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment in all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, age, mental disability, physical disability, medical condition, gender, sexual orientation, genetic information, ancestry, marital status, national origin, veteran status, and other classifications protected by applicable state and local non-discrimination laws.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted