Senior Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch files. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Shopify, Cisco, Intuit, Spotify, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
We are actively looking for engineers to help us grow our systems infrastructure. At Abstract we develop desktop and web applications that help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design artifacts.
As an operations team, we're firm believers in managing our infrastructure with code, reviewing each others work, and striving to provide a great experience to both our customers and the rest of the Abstract engineering team. Since we’re a small but rapidly growing company, we’re seeking self-directed, communicative engineers who can tackle problems as they arise, and are willing to provide feedback daily and pushback when necessary.
In a typical week as an Infrastructure Engineer, you will:
- Manage and improve infrastructure with code.
- Diagnose performance issues and improve processing time for key operations.
- Monitor and improve monitoring for critical infrastructure.
- Participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we're moving fast while also maintaining quality code bases.
- Collaborate cross-functionally at Abstract to design the best possible systems for our customers and engineering team.
Practical skills you'll need for success:
- Experience automating the management of Linux servers using configuration management tools like Ansible, Chef, Puppet, or Salt, and version control systems like Git.
- The ability to plan, implement, and operate typical web application architecture—load balancers, relation databases, messages queues, network storage, etc.
- Familiarity building and running containers and common ecosystem tools.
Bonus points if you have:
- Worked with and secured complex systems on AWS.
- Experience with ECS, Kubernetes, or other container orchestration tools.
- Knowledge of Git internals, including network protocols.
- Operated under enterprise security requirements or responded to enterprise vendor security questionnaires.
- Comfortable reading and writing Ruby and/or Go.
BenefitsAt Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, including dental, vision, and life insurance. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care and health care FSA as well as commuter benefits for SF office employees.To help employees plan for the future, we're able to offer competitive pay and a 401k. We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
NotesThough we are a distributed team, we're currently only able to hire US-based candidates.As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted