Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch files. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Shopify, Cisco, Intuit, Spotify, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
At Abstract we develop desktop and web applications that help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design artifacts. We are looking for engineers to help us develop Go HTTP services and command line applications, as well as our Ruby API.
We use Go throughout our application stack, so Go engineers on the team will enjoy a wide range of projects. We run numerous services written in Go on the web, and also interact with design data on the desktop using a CLI application written in Go. Our RESTful API is powered by Ruby, and is at the core of our product architecture.
We're more interested in your ability to learn and solve problems, so while previous Go and/or Ruby experience is preferred, expertise in similar languages (Java, PHP, Elixir, Erlang, Python, Perl, C#, C++) would also suffice.
In a typical week as a Senior Back End Engineer, you will:
- Discuss, plan, and build new features and web APIs
- Diagnose performance issues and improve processing time for key operations
- Triage and fix bugs, often working directly with our customers
- Participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we're moving fast while also maintaining quality codebases
- Collaborate with fellow engineers and designers building user-facing features to decide how APIs and integrated libraries should work
- Document service architecture and features in service of sharing knowledge with the rest of the engineering team
- Work closely with the Infrastructure team to ensure any security concerns are addressed quickly and thoroughly
- In-depth understanding of Git's internals
- Curiosity, and a commitment to life-long learning
- Experience building web applications
- A product mindset and a willingness to ask questions in order to improve the product, not only in its technical implementation but also in how well it’s serving the needs of our customers
- The ability to make things happen even when the path is not well defined
- Ability to clearly discuss and explain complex technical topics
- Commitment to improvement and an understanding of technical trade-offs
- Respectful collaboration with team members, customers, and project managers
- Willingness both to listen to others and to be heard
- Experience communicating technical concepts to peers, junior engineers, and non-technical audiences
- Enthusiasm for jumping in to diagnose and fix the core issues when things inevitably break. This is software, after all!
- Designed high-volume APIs
- Experience working with Git libraries such as go-git
- Worked in an environment with microservices or another service-oriented architecture
- Designed and built applications with Docker or Kubernetes
- Worked on small teams and are comfortable wearing multiple hats
- Experience working in an agile environment
- Experience working remotely
- Mentorship experience
BenefitsAt Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial wellbeing. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, including dental, vision, and life insurance. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care and health care FSA as well as commuter benefits for SF office employees.
To help employees plan for the future, we're able to offer competitive pay and a 401k.We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
NotesThough we are a distributed team, we're currently only able to hire US-based candidates.
As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted