Abstract is a design workflow platform for teams to version, manage, and collaborate on Sketch files. Since launching in July 2017, over 5,000 design teams across 75 countries have adopted Abstract, including teams from Shopify, Cisco, Intuit, Spotify, Salesforce, Instacart, OpenTable, and more.
At Abstract, we are actively working to build a diverse and inclusive organization. Here, diversity includes age, economic class, educational background, ethnic variance, familial status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, marital status, national origin, religious affiliation, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, or veteran status.
Abstract is headquartered in San Francisco but many of our teams and roles are remote-first (US-based only at this time). If you have a passion for rolling up your sleeves, building new programs, and have a strong, team-player mentality, we’d love to hear from you!
Abstract is looking for Front-end Engineers to help us build UI and features for our desktop and web applications. At Abstract, we develop applications to help teams design with confidence by providing a version control system and collaboration platform focused on design artifacts and workflows.
We're more interested in your ability to learn and solve problems than your specific programming language or framework experience.
In a typical week as a Front-end Engineer, you will:
- Discuss, plan, and build new features using ES6, React, and Redux
- Collaborate with designers on new React components for our growing shared component library
- Triage and fix bugs, often working directly with our customers
- Participate in peer code reviews through pull requests to make sure we're moving fast while also maintaining quality code bases
- Participate in design reviews and give feedback on the designs you're working with
- Contribute to server-side APIs — through code, peer review, or both — that are needed to ship features
Practical skills you'll need for success:
- Experience building products and UI using modern web technologies
- You think critically about your work and ask questions in order to improve the product, not only in its technical implementation but also in how it benefits our customers
- The ability to build great, usable features with only high level design guidance
- You can clearly discuss and explain complex technical topics
- When things inevitably break, you eagerly jump in to diagnose and fix the core issues
Bonus points if you have:
- Experience with server-side languages, especially Ruby or Go.
- Worked in small teams and are comfortable wearing multiple hats every single day
- Built desktop apps using Electron
- Experience with lower level technologies like libgit2 and Objective-C
- A formal background in computer science
At Abstract, we offer resources that emphasize personal and familial well-being. We provide 99% healthcare coverage, including dental, vision, and life insurance. We offer 10 weeks parental leave, unlimited paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Additional perks include dependent care and health care FSA as well as commuter benefits for SF office employees.
To help employees plan for the future, we're able to offer competitive pay and a 401k. New teammates receive a MacBook Pro.
We are a distributed team and we are able to offer US-based remote employment for most roles. We offer travel opportunities for company meetings, team meet-ups, and the occasional conference.
Though we are a distributed team, we're currently only able to hire US-based candidates. As part of our security protocols, offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted