Are you ready to use your powers for good? Are you looking to join a team that truly makes a difference? Do you want an opportunity to impact the city of Seattle's homeless crisis? We are looking for a skilled Software developer who can see that technology is integral to solving social services challenges.
DESC has a network infrastructure and systems to support close to 1,000 users on a daily bases across 19 sites. The agency has been in place for 40 years and daily supports over 3,500 of Seattle's most vulnerable population.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities of the Position:
- Write code to create data structures and functionality that maintain and improve DESC data systems.
- Comply with good software engineering principles, including but not limited to standardize coding, standardized documentation practices, version control and coding testability.
- Work with other IS and agency staff to troubleshoot, debug and improve existing data and code when bugs or shortcomings are identified.
- Create documentation and training materials for agency data and computer systems collaborating with other IS team members.
- Participate in IS discussion, planning and decision-making. Maintain field of expertise though continuing education, research, seminars, or professional associations.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, related field or equivalent experience: advanced degree a plus.
- Good interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment required.
- Supports and develops software application systems.
- Strong problem-solving skills and the ability to produce high quality work independently.
- Previous experience with non-profit or social service agencies strongly preferred.
- Familiarity with Linux and Open Source environments a plus.
- Position requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to communicate technical information to a non-technical audience.
- Subscribe to the philosophy of cooperation and continuity across programs and of consideration and respect for clients.
Minimum of two years programming experience in the following:
- Cloud experience (perhaps give examples of AWS, Azure, Google Cloud Platform)
- Experience with object-oriented programming, and experience with medical/health information.
- Experience with Apache or other HTTP server a plus.
- PHP and SQL experience a plus.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
DESC is committed to diversity in the workplace and promotes equal employment opportunities for all staff members and applicants. The Agency will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, marital status, or the presence of any sensory, mental or physical disability in any employment practice, unless based on a bona fide occupational qualification. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
No Sponsorship offered:
US work authorization is a precondition of employment. DESC will not consider candidates who require sponsorship for a work authorized visa.No Relocation:
DESC does not offer a relocation benefit. Candidates need to live within the commuting distance to Seattle, WA.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted