WGBH enriches people's lives through programs and services that educate, inspire, and entertain, fostering citizenship and culture, the joy of learning, and the power of diverse perspectives.
FRONTLINE is PBS’s flagship investigative documentary series, which explores the issues of our time through powerful storytelling. Our investigations have helped breathe new life into terrorism cold cases, freed innocent people from jail, prompted U.N. resolutions, and spurred both policy and social change. We’ve won every major journalism and broadcasting award, including 89 Emmy Awards and 20 Peabody Awards. Today, our dedicated cadre of reporters, producers and digital makers report across platforms — from our documentaries and podcast series, to longform written narratives and transmedia projects. In an age of 24/7 breaking news, we remain dedicated to thoughtful, incisive accountability journalism.
FRONTLINE is also committed to presenting more voices, perspectives and experiences across our platforms. To foster a work environment that values inclusiveness and reflects the broad perspectives of the American public, we encourage qualified applicants from all racial, ethnic, religious and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, gender identities and functional limitations to apply, especially those from historically marginalized communities.
FRONTLINE is looking for a creative, talented front-end developer to join its award-winning digital team. We’re seeking someone committed to telling deeply reported stories in an innovative, digital-first experience. We are story-first, so our developer will be involved from the outset in helping to create an experience that not only meets the project's needs technically, but also journalistically.
Our work requires a nimble approach to development that involves staying up-to-date with the latest trends, and introducing emerging technologies into the tech stack to complement a fast-paced news environment. This person should be able to juggle short and long-term interactive projects on an evolving timeline, and be flexible enough to troubleshoot solutions on the fly.
- Work closely with FRONTLINE’s senior designer, reporters, producers and editors to create innovative digital projects
- Build internal tools that contribute to FRONTLINE’s award-winning reporting Evaluate third-party tools and libraries to determine how effectively they can serve digital reporting efforts
- Shape the developer roadmap for general site maintenance, architecture improvements, and digital projects
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Comfortable with WordPress development
- Experience with a python web framework (Flask, Django, etc.)
- Experience with data visualization and mapping in D3
- Skilled in responsive web design
- Ability to problem-solve creatively
- Effective and professional communication skills
- Strong collaborative nature
Bachelor’s degree preferred.
WGBH is an equal opportunity employer. The community and audience we serve is diverse, and we wish to foster that diversity in our workplace. Toward that end, WGBH does not discriminate against individuals in hiring, employment or promotion on the basis of race, religion, color, sex/gender, gender identity and gender expression, age, marital status, national origin, sexual orientation, citizenship, handicap or disability, veteran or military status, political belief, pregnancy, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by law.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted