Sets the architecture direction for the foundation’s Azure implementation. Shapes, designs and plans the Azure portfolio’s long-range technology roadmap, to anticipate future business needs and to maximize the value of long-term investments on the Azure platform. Provides leadership, mentorship and technical expertise to Azure-related development across multiple teams and projects. Creates and maintains the foundation’s Azure architecture blueprint, integrated with the foundation’s enterprise architecture.
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things
- Solution Design: Develop and maintain a comprehensive and detailed technical blueprint of Azure services. Create Azure-based solution options that align IT services with business sponsors’ missions, goals and objectives with consideration of both technical and non-technical implications and trade-offs. Review and recommend selection of third-party software platforms to augment Azure functionality where appropriate. Follow and shape foundation Enterprise architecture best practices, adhering to standard activities and deliverables for Azure solutions. Develop and leverage a broad understanding of the overall Information Technology landscape and Foundation business architecture.
- Solution Implementation: Produce blueprints that guide the development and implementation of Azure-based business solutions across multiple projects. Provide Azure expertise and direction to technical teams during project delivery. Validate and approve the deliverables of the technical team.
- Team Leadership: Effectively articulate how the team can realize business value through Azure technology. Mentor technical team members. Direct the day-to-day work of contingent technical staff. Contribute to the foundation’s Enterprise Architecture.
- Customer Engagement: Partner directly with business partners to deeply understand the customer’s business capabilities and business strategies. Incorporate customer feedback into the team’s Azure solution architecture to support business strategies. Relied upon to represent, including formal presentations, the broader goals, strategies and priorities of overall Information Technology across the foundation as needed.
- Product and Service Strategy: Independently develop and maintain the technology roadmap for Azure. Collaborate with business and IT partners to ensure that the Azure roadmap creates business value with technically sound solutions. Ensure implementations support technology and business roadmaps. Proactively seek out and advocate for opportunities to apply Azure-based technical innovations to customer needs.
- Continual Improvement: Frequently monitor the business capability landscape to identify opportunities for greater long-term business value. Frequently monitor the industry solution landscape to track the development of available solutions, and identify opportunities for adapting the team’s Azure solution architecture. Partner with peers in Enterprise Architecture team to ensure the framework remains relevant and useful.
- People Management: This role may manage people and is responsible for hiring the talent needed to achieve our goals, ensuring successful employee onboarding, communicating performance expectations, creating goal alignment, integrating project and change management, giving and seeking feedback, providing coaching, measuring progress and holding people accountable, supporting employee development, and recognizing achievement and lessons learned.
- Microsoft Azure Partnership: Work closely with Microsoft Azure product management to stay abreast of their roadmap and actively participate in its evolution. Be the foundation’s central point of contact for Azure products, services, and support.
Core Knowledge and Skills
- Expertise in outlining Azure-based solution architecture descriptions, monitoring and governing their implementation and identifying continual improvement opportunities in alignment with Enterprise Architecture framework.
- Expertise mapping business capabilities to long-term technology solutions.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and presentations; ability to articulate technology impact to business customers at all levels.
- Relationship building and consulting skills, including development of effective relationships with senior business and IT leaders.
- Complex problem-solving knowledge and skills, including conflict resolution and facilitation.
- Ability to estimate and recommend total cost of ownership with and for colleagues & customers/business owners
- A continuous learner, keeping existing technical skills up-to-date while seeking out new technology trends in technical domains relevant to assigned portfolio
Azure Core Knowledge & Skills
- Provide best practices of designing, configuring, and maintaining cloud environment
- Analyze, Design, and migrate existing and new development environment into Azure, including Azure storage as well as the surrounding infrastructure.
- Manage, architecture layouts, solution blue prints and road map
- Implement current Azure Technologies and implement in existing environment.
- Experience and understanding of Azure Monitoring & Azure Log Analytics
- Experience and understanding of large scale application development projects (including key coding skills and practices)
- Experience and understanding of integrated development environments (e.g. Visual Studio, Visual Studio Code, Eclipse, XCode) targeting Azurex
- Deep domain expertise of Azure PaaS architecture design
- Deep domain expertise of Azure ARM template development, Azure Blueprint development, Azure DevOps, Terraform
- Deep domain expertise of Azure application development solutions
- Deep domain expertise of Azure AD, VNets, NSG, Azure Site Recovery, Azure Security Center, Azure Cost & Billing
- Familiarity with migration of existing and new applications to Azure
- Familiarity with security principles - encryption, authentication, authorization, integrity, auditing, pen testing etc. - and how these are applied in a cloud environment
- Familiarity with SaaS Cloud solutions (e.g. Salesforce, Office 365)
- Experience in working with a Big Data implementation in production environment
Azure Data Services Knowledge & Skills
- Deep domain expertise of Azure’s raw and structured data storage offerings (e.g. Blob storage, Data Lake storage, SQL Managed Instance, SQL Data Warehouse, Cosmos DB)
- Deep domain expertise of Azure’s Data Processing, ETL and Late Binding offerings (e.g. Data Factory, Databricks, Machine Learning, R Server, Data Lake Analytics, SSIS, Polybase)
- Deep domain expertise of Azure’s Security and Management offerings related to building Azure data solutions (e.g. Security Center, Azure AD, MFA, Azure Automation, Key Vault)
Education and Experience
Advanced degree with 5+ years of experience, or equivalent experience.
As part of our standard hiring process for new employees, employment with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will be contingent upon successful completion of a background check.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to the belief that all lives have equal value. We’re committed to creating a workplace where employees thrive both personally and professionally. We also believe our employees should reflect the rich diversity of the global populations we aim to serve—in race, gender, age, cultures and beliefs—and we support this diversity through all of our employment practices.
All applicants and employees who are drawn to serve the mission of the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation will enjoy equality of opportunity and fair treatment without regard to:* Race * Color * Age * Religion * Pregnancy * Sex * Sexual Orientation * Disability * Gender Identity * Gender Expression * National Origin * Genetic Information * Veteran Status * Marital Status * Prior Protected Activity
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted