Senior Program Associate, Artificial Intelligence
We have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Program Associate, Artificial Intelligence to serve as manager of the AAAS (AI)² Initiative, reporting to the Director of the Scientific Responsibility, Human Rights and Law Program (SRHRL). (AI)² addresses “Artificial Intelligence. Applications. Implications” and is a new initiative of AAAS that is housed within SRHRL but draws on the unique strengths and expertise of multiple units across the organization. To be launched at the end of the summer 2019 or early fall, the Initiative includes among its goals: to cultivate a public that is aware of the promise and pitfalls of AI; to contribute to a policy agenda at the national, state, and local levels that is informed by diverse publics and the scientific community; to make consideration of social, ethical, legal, and human rights issues a fundamental part of the AI research and development environment; and to broker partnerships between human rights organizations and industry to create AI applications for human rights.
AAAS and SRHRL have a distinguished track record in promoting high standards for the practice of science and engineering, in engaging diverse publics in dialogue about the societal implications of science and technology, in contributing to the ethical, legal and policy considerations raised by emerging areas of scientific research and technology development, as well as in the development and adaption of scientific methods and technological tools for human rights research and documentation. Harnessing this expertise to address AI offers an exciting opportunity for significant impact.
Are you ready to be a Force for Science?
What You’ll Do
- Coordinate across AAAS units in the implementation of the AAAS (AI)² Initiative
- Conduct and facilitate original research, design and coordinate convenings, develop and disseminate publications and other tools and resources
- Advise the SRHRL Program Director and AAAS with regard to developments and dialogues concerning the ethical, legal and social implications of AI, including identification of contemporary developments in research and development, legal and policy considerations, and opportunities for AAAS intervention and impact
- Develop and implement a strategic outreach and communications plan, including through development and dissemination of content for the AAAS website, social media and other online platforms as well as participation in key external dialogues and debates
- Cultivate and manage partnerships and alliances and identify opportunities for strategic engagement with external organizations and other key stakeholders.
- Contribute to fundraising and grant development, monitoring budgets, and reporting
- Measure impact through the development and implementation of systems for regular monitoring and evaluation
- Additional duties as assigned
- Master's degree (Ph.D preferred) with a background in computer science highly desirable
- 2+ years’ experience in addressing the ethical, social and/or legal implications of an emerging area of scientific or technological development, with a focus on artificial intelligence preferred
- Experience in financial management, budgeting and grant proposal development
- Experience in program management, particularly coordination of multiple stakeholders
- Experience working in a multidisciplinary context with a diversity of collaborators
- Strong interpersonal skills and collegiality
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Submit a resume and cover letter outlining qualifications and interest in the position by September 10, 2019. Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. A Recruiter will contact you with next steps if you are selected for an interview.
AAAS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected category. AAAS uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted