Senior Software Developer
Hello! We're seeking a talented, dedicated, and passionate Senior Software Developer to join our Product Team.
Operating as a unique, nonprofit technology company, Medic Mobile develops free and open-source tools that support various health program areas. Health workers currently use Medic Mobile’s apps to register every pregnancy in their community, ensure that infants are immunized against illnesses, track disease outbreaks faster, keep stock of essential medicines, and communicate about emergencies. Our workflows and tools are designed through a human-centered process and we study our impact to determine what scales.
At Medic, creative solutions to complex problems are the norm. We work in environments with extreme constraints and are inspired by how technology can bridge gaps and reinvent workflows. Our developers help build tools to improve lives by making sure health workers feel supported, informed, and connected to their peers, managers, and patients.
- Are an experienced developer comfortable forging ahead independently as well as collaborating effectively with a remote team across many time zones.
- Can communicate effectively in English over video and text chats as part of a results-focused distributed team.
- Have developed, deployed, and maintained production web applications.
- Are productive in a UNIX-like environment, and can script your way out of trouble if necessary.
- Are excited to work with modern web technologies, NodeJS and CouchDB.
- Are capable of picking up front-end JS frameworks, even better if you are already a master with one of them.
- Enjoy working closely with designers and other members of a cross functional team to iterate upon solutions and solve problems together.
- Have a reliable fast internet connection and a quiet place to collaborate with remote team members.
- Can live anywhere, in any timezone, working hours that work for you, while being able to work with suitable overlap with teammates in Europe, NA, and NZ
- Are able to travel for 1-2 weeks a year for meetups and site visits.
A Senior Software Developer reports to the Engineering Manager, works closely with the Director of Technology and the rest of the cross-functional product team, and is responsible for the full development life-cycle of Medic Mobile’s web-based mobile health software.
Software Development: 85%
- Design, build, document, and ship software that improves healthcare outcomes in underserved communities around the world.
- Work with Medic Mobile and its partners along the entire software development life-cycle: understand problems, capture requirements, design modular software systems, write great software, and document everything along the way.
- Participate in daily stand-up meetings, weekly iteration reviews, and monthly milestone reviews.
- Learn new languages, platforms, toolkits, libraries, tools, and application development paradigms as necessary.
- Contribute directly to open-source and free software projects as appropriate.
Strategic Planning: 5%
- Work with the Director of Technology and development team to guide platform development and technical strategy.
- Evaluate tools and technologies; develop long-term software and platform roadmaps.
Team Support: 10%
- Consult on technical needs for larger-scale deployments, including local hosting, SMS aggregators, app scalability, etc.
- Work collaboratively with the rest of the product team to turn user insights into new features and interfaces that help empower our users.
- Work with regional tech leads in Africa and Asia on configuration of Medic’s toolkit as needed.
- Provide remote troubleshooting support to active deployments as needed.
We’ll be conducting interviews on a rolling basis.
Medic offers a competitive non-profit salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Further details will be shared with candidates who move onto first round interviews.
Get weekly notifications when new jobs are posted